Thursday, May 3, 2007

A Record Set At Talladega

When you are a race car driver as good as Jeff Gordon and with the best team in your sport you should expect nothing less than winning races consistently. No surprise that Gordon won his 77th Cup race to surpass the late Dale Earnhardt. The question still remains, how many races and championships will he win before he hangs up his racing gloves? In my opinion he has a great shot at wining six or seven championships and exceed 100 wins and maybe surpass David Pearson in wins to be second only to Richard Petty.

It still astounds me that race fans at Talladega can be so stupid as to throwing full cans of soda and beer at a driver who just risked his life for their entertainment. OK, be a fan for your favorite driver but don't be so small minded as to display that type of behavior for someone you don't root for. Safety comes in many forms in motor racing and fans have to know that it works both ways. I heard they banished more than 14 fans from ever buying tickets at that venue and I applaud NASCAR for doing so. I was never a fan of JG's but when I see behavior that that I am beginning to like him just a little more. Congrats Jeff, many more wins hopefully, but more important, keep those rowdy fans under control NASCAR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it is only a race, so what difference does it make who wins!!! Come on race fans GROW UP!