Sunday, May 20, 2007

Where Will Jr Go?

Well the inevitable happened, Dale Jr is leaving DEI in search of greener pastures or should I say in search of a team he can win a championship with. Was it majority ownership or some other factor that caused Jr to leave the team his famous father founded? Why wouldn't Teresa Earnhardt give him control of the company? Where do they go now? Who will they get to replace Jr? Where will Budweiser go?

I have to assume that not giving Dale Jr what he wanted is what Teresa had in mind all along. I know you can choose your friends but not your family and sometimes family business is the nastiest business. Although DEI is now partnering with RCR for engine development I have to say that in the long run I think the two teams will merge as one in the not to distant future.

If Jr really wants to win a championship he should strike a deal with Hendrick Motor Sports because they will have the strongest Chevy team for years to come. Gibbs would be a close second and possible Roush third but I can't see him running a Ford. My gut tells me he will bring the Bud sponsorship with him to what ever team he lands with and that team will be Hendrick. What do you think? I'd like to know.